Homeowners and condominium associations who must repair or replace a failing septic system can take advantage of a below-market rate loan through the Septic Repair Loan program, a combined effort of the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), the Massachusetts Department of Revenue and MassHousing.
Eligible borrowers can use these loans to cover all costs associated with system repairs and sewer connections; repairs completed prior to loan closing will not be reimbursed.
- Loans are fully amortizing and are originated, underwritten and closed by MassHousing-approved lenders
- Loan amounts range from $1,000 to $25,000
- Loan terms may be three to 20 years
- Interest rates vary between 0% and 5%, based on the borrower's income. Borrower income limits apply
- No appraisal is required, and a debt-to-income ratio of 50% of the borrower's gross income is applied