The Home for the Brave Portfolio Insurance program combines mortgage funding from Massachusetts lending partners with MI Plus™, a unique mortgage insurance product from MassHousing.
Lending partners will offer competitive rates on long-term financing for up to 97% LTV of the purchase price of a home or 97% LTV of the current fair market value of a property for limited cash-out refinances. Eligible veterans will receive up to $1,500 in closing cost assistance funds from MassHousing.
In addition to traditional mortgage insurance coverage provided to lenders, MassHousing's MI Plus™ gives borrowing veterans mortgage payment protection. MI Plus™ covers a borrower's monthly principal and interest payment (up to $2,000/month) for up to six months in the event of unemployment. Under the Home for the Brave Program, payment benefits will be extended for the same amount and term for veterans who are recalled to active duty or who serve as reservists and are called to active duty.
Please refer to our MIOnly Underwriting Grid for complete underwriting criteria. Income limits apply.
Eligible borrowers are
- Veterans: Evidence of their service and discharge will be a completed DOD Form DD214 (Report of Separation from Active Duty).
- Active-Duty Military: Verification required.
- Gold Star Family Members: Spouses of soldiers, sailors or marines who lost their life during active military service. A letter from the local veteran’s agent, verifying widowed veteran status is required.
Choose "Home for the Brave" on the product dropdown selection in Emasshousing.com. Select MI coverage.
Veterans securing a mortgage under this program may be eligible for up to $1,500 in closing cost assistance.
Prior to closing, lender submits documents to MIOperations@Masshousing.com.
- Completed DOD DD214 Form
- Loan Estimate, with evidence of closing cost credit
Post Close, lender submits documents to MIOperations@Masshousing.com.
- Activate MI
- Submit Closing Disclosure (CD)
- Send Wiring Instructions
If you have questions, please contact MIOperations@Masshousing.com.